Tuesday, December 17, 2013

If Only I Could Hate You Ep 9



So this episode is extremely late! It was going to come out during Christmas but for the life of me, I was so busy that I just couldn't get it out. Anyway, now that I have officially graduated, I'm sure I will be able to get these out a lot quicker :)

The first season is almost done! With only three episodes left for the season, I hope I can get it out before the end of the year LOL. No, really my goal is the end of the summer. Anyway, I won't keep you away from reading for too long. Hope you enjoy this chapter of IOICHY and HAPPY SIMMING!








Christmas was approaching and school was out for the holidays. As usual, Micah kept up with the school readings and Irena stayed busy keeping up with the latest Galaxy videos.



"So," Lee started, breaking the silence in the room. "I thought we would go out today and buy gifts."
"I thought I said I didn't want to exchange gifts this year," Micah protested. "You need to watch what your spending now."
"I think we owe Irena a nice holiday. Her family has taken us in, while I look for something more permanent for us." Lee said. "Besides, Irena, I bet this is the first Christmas you have had without your father."
"Just about," she said.
"Have you heard from him, yet?" Lee asked her.


"No, I talked to him a few weeks ago." Irena explained. "He apologized for not being in contact often, but that he has been extremely busy. Plus it doesn't help that the time zones are different where he is."
"I'm sorry that you are having to go through this. " Lee crossed his legs.
"I'm glad that I have you guys here. Otherwise, I would be here alone."


"Micah, we need to make this Christmas extra special for Irena." Lee told his son.
"You don't need to go out of your way, Mr. Dastin," Irena said. "I'm going to side with Micah. You need to save your money during these rough times."
"Ahhh, what am I going to do with you kids," Lee laughed. "You two are both acting so grown up."
"Dad, are you not worried at all about our situation." Micah said, irritably.
"Yes, son, I am." Lee narrowed his eyes. "We should enjoy this time together, though. Please don't argue with me on this and lets just enjoy ourselves this once. Okay?"
Micah opened his mouth as if he was about to argue, instead he released a sigh. "Okay. But, don't expect me to spend money lavishly."
"I wouldn't ever expect that of you," Lee laughed.
"I'll go get my coat then!" Irena smiled and ran upstairs. "Plus, dad put some money in my account so I can buy gifts too! I hadn't bought anything yet because Micah kept saying not to the past few weeks."
A heavy sigh came from Micah.


Once Irena had made it all the way up the stairs, Lee pulled Micah off to the side.
"Irena's father bought her gift," Lee whispered, "but it had to be sent to the store. Would you pick it up?"
"You're not coming with us?"
"I need to take care of some things from the office before the holidays. Don't let her see you get it, okay?"
"Yes, I can do that."


At the store, Irena searched the racks first for Micah's gift. Typically she would have made him something, but since Micah had told her repeatedly the last few weeks to NOT get him something, she didn't have time. In fact, she was kinda clueless about what to get him. His birthday wasn't that long ago and she had already made him a tie. She was determined to not be the person to buy or make the same gift two times in a row.

After walking around several times, she thought she had found the gift. It was thoughtful and showed she paid attention. It was also a bit expensive. She could afford it without problems, but she wondered if it would make him uncomfortable to receive it.



Meanwhile at the checkout counter, Micah was picking up Irena's gift from her father.
"I have a order to pick up, here. It was bought by Tansin Anore. My name is Micah Dastin."
"Alright, let me check on that." The cashier stepped away from the counter for a moment, and returned with a black box. "I just need some ID and you can take it."
"Sure," he said, pulling out his wallet and showed the ID to the cashier.
"That is a really beautiful gift. Who ever it is for is very lucky."

"Who is really lucky?" Irena's voice snuck up on Micah.
He hesitated only for a second. He knew Irena wasn't expecting a gift from her father, and he hated to spoil it for her.
"It's a gift for Nina." The lie was believable enough. Micah barely noticed Irena's hurt expression.
"Oh," she said. "What is it?"
"It doesn't matter," he said, taking the box quickly from the counter and into his pocket. "Do you have your gifts?"
"Um, yes bu-"
"Then lets go." Micah hasted her along.
"I think I changed my mind."
"The store will be closing up, mam," the cashier said.
"Oh, okay. I guess I'll get it."
"I'll wait outside, so I don't ruin the surprise. Of course, I bet you will tell me before I even open it," Micah said, chuckling.
"That only happened once," Irena crossed her arms as he walked outside.


As he left, Irena pondered about Nina's gift. Was he really that comfortable around her that he would buy her a gift? She knew that Micah was slipping away... even though she never had him to start with.
"Can I wrap these up for you?" The cashier asked Irena after she placed the items on the checkout counter.
"Yes, please."
She knew she should change her mind about Micah's gift and get him something else, but then again just because Micah had bought Nina a gift, doesn't mean that he loves her, right?


Irena walked slowly behind Micah during the way home. She watched her feet as they crunched in the snow. She loved the winter time, but only because her and her father would have the best times playing the the winter snow.
"Your awfully quiet. Usually, it's all I can do to get you to shut up."
She sped up her pace and caught up with him.
"I was just thinking about my father," she said. "My mother left during the holidays, so when I was young I used to hate this time of year. But one snowy day, my dad got tired of watching me mope around. So he took me outside every winter and we had a winter wonderland day, playing in the snow making snow angels, creating snow men, having snowball wars."
"And you can't do any of that stuff now?" Micah asked.
Irena misunderstood what he was saying and got excited, "So you will have fun with me?"
She dropped to the ground and started waving her hands and legs up and down, creating an angel.
"You look silly," Micah pointed out.
"Your supposed to do it with me."
"I don't like lying in the snow."
"You are such a party pooper," she said, standing up. She whipped the snow away from the back of her pants.
"Do you feel better now that you've made your angel,"
"No." She pouted as she started walking away.


Micah watched her as she walked away in disappointment. Both only having fathers, he knew how lonely he would feel if his father had gone away as her's had.  Micah picked up a handful of snow and molded into a round shape.
"Irena!" he called out her name. When she turned around, he gave no second thought before hurling the cold wet snow at her. But she was quick and dodged his attack.
"You're going to regret that," She shouted back at him. She picked up snow and created her ammo. She threw it at him, hitting him in the chest.
"NaNaNaNaNa," she sang. Then she started to chase after him with a hand full of snow.

She chased him through the park, throwing snowballs; some hitting him, others not.
Micah didn't like being pelted with cold wet snowballs, but he was happy to distract Irena from the thoughts of her father being away.

Micah, ran down a small set of stairs with ease, but Irena was not so lucky.
Following him, she slipped on the ice and fell.
"Ow!" she cried out, holding her ankle.
Micah turned back around.
"This isn't a trick is it?"
"No of course not! I was winning." She said bitterly.
Micah got closer to get a better look. "It looks sprained."

Irena tried to stand up. But the pain was too much for her.
"Don't try to walk," Micah said.
He scooped her up into his arms. Irena's eyes widened and her heart's beating grew louder to her. It was the closest she had been to Micah. The smell of his cologne, the color in his eyes, the shape of his mouth were all magnified and more clear to her.

Micah had taken Irena back home.
"How is your foot?" Micah asked, after he placed her on the couch.
"It feels a bit better now. I'll just take it easy for now," she said.
"That's a good idea you should rest," He said rubbing the base of his neck.

"I took your bags of gifts into my room," Micah said after remembering that he had to tote them for her.
"You didn't look did you?" She said, worried that he had snuck a peak.
"Don't worry. I wasn't interested in looking," Micah said, crossing his arms and rolling his eyes.
"Good." Irena relaxed.


Later that afternoon Irena snuck into Micah's bedroom. I can't let him see his gift, she thought to herself.
She pondered around the room aimlessly trying to search for the bags. Finally she spotted them at the floor of his nightstand. She wandered over to retrieve them but froze when a little blue box caught her eye,


This must be Nina's gift. Her palms dampened with nerves when she saw it. By the velvet case there was no doubt that it was jewelry Irena released a sad sigh. She didn't like being a snoop but she also couldn't help but wonder how much Micah liked Nina. She lifted the case and revealed to her was a beautiful pendent necklace. As she closed the box she couldn't help but feel a part of her heart ripping away from her. She reached for her bag of gifts and quietly left the room, taking thoughts of the jewelry box along with her.


Christmas eve came and Irena grew more and more confused about her feelings. She couldn't deny that she was disappointed of the idea that Micah and Nina being a couple. She knew giving a Micah this gift would in some way be putting her heart out on the table. Not only was it expensive but it shared a bit of sentimental value. It was something that he could use everyday and if he did, he would think of her as she was the one to give it to him. But on the other hand, she could be reading more into it, but still terrified to think that Micah would know her intentions she second guessed giving it to him.


"What are you doing down here?" Micah asked her.
"Waiting on Santa Clause" she said.
"You know that…"
"I was kidding." Irena said with a smile.
Micah  wandered over to the tree. "Shouldn’t you be asleep?"
"I was just debating on something."
"Is that my gift?" Micah asked pointing to the box on the table.
"No," Irena said anxiously.
"Then what is it?"
"It’s a choice. If I stick this underneath the tree, I will be in a vulnerable position again. If I don’t, then I could pass up a chance at destiny."
"Are you sure that isn’t my gift? It even has my name on it. " He pulled up the name tag for her to see.

"Maybe it is and maybe it won't be," she said gloomily.
"It’s almost Christmas day. You should let me open it," Micah said, pointing to the clock that was just about to strike midnight.
"But if I allow you to open it, what could you give me?" Irena asked.
"I got you a gift. See it’s under the tree."
Irena looked at the gift in her hand, giving it a though. "I saw Nina's gift. It's a really beautiful necklace."

"Necklace?"
"I saw it on your dresser."
"You went into my room?"
Irena quickly realized her mistake, "I needed to get my gifts back and it was just there..."
Micah opened his mouth as if to scold her. But a thought occurred to him. Not only did she come into my room without permission, but she also opened the case. I could scold her, but instead I think I'll teach her a lesson.

"Well, maybe I did give it to her." He lied and carefully watched her expression drop. "Why? You still like me?"
"No, why would I like a jerk like you?"
"Then why are you having such a hard time giving me that gift? You should just let me have it or else I really will believe that you like me."

Irena grew quiet-- not sure of what to say. It was as if he could see through her and she hated it. "I'm going to bed," she said before leaving the room.
Micah then saw something as she left the room. It was a realization that she did still like him.
"Silly girl," he whispered under his breath as if the Christmas tree next to him would hear.


Christmas morning came with a phone call from Tansin. Irena enthusiastically answered his call, not even hesitating to say "Merry Christmas."
"Merry Christmas," her dad replied.
"I'm so happy you called! I was afraid I wouldn't get to talk to you." Irena paced back and forth.
"I wouldn't miss getting to call you today. I especially didn't want to miss talking  to you before you got my gift."
"My gift? Did you really get me a gift?"
"Of course!" Tansin sounded surprised by her reply. "Did you really think I wouldn't get you anything?"
"No... but I was just surprised that's all. I didn't see it under the tree."
"I told Lee not to tell you and to hide it. I wouldn't trust you to not go peeking around early."
"You know me too well, Dad." Irena laughed.
"Of course, so tell me how your Christmas vacation has been going."
For the next half hour, Irena excitedly told her father about going shopping and playing in the snow. She even bragged about getting Micah to play for once, "at first he was uptight as usual, but I think I'm pulling him out of his shell," she told him.
Micah rolled his eyes from a distance, not meaning to eaves drop, but grew curious at the sound of his name.
While her phone call with her father was fulfilling, she still sounded gloomy when it was time to hang up.
"I'll call again soon, okay?" he said.
"Okay. I love you."
"I love you too."


After ending her call with her father, Irena met Lee and Dastin in the livingroom.
"I heard you have a gift for me," she said to them.
"Your Dad has good taste, I will tell you that." Lee smiled. "Micah, you can give her the gift now."

Micah took out the small jewelry case and sat it between them. It took Irena a second to realize what it was, but there was no doubting the confusion on her face when she did.
"That gift wasn't Nina's?" she asked Micah.
"I had to come up with some lie to throw you off. It was either that or have you misunderstand by making you think I was going to give you jewelry." Micah shrugged.
Lee watched on in confusion. "You mean she has already seen it?"
"Yes, but don't worry she had no idea it was even hers."
The heat from Irena's cheeks started to turn her skin pink. Had she known, she wouldn't have made such a big scene the day before.
"So, how about that gift now?" Micah asked her.


Irena was hesitant for a moment, but then realized that Micah did not give Nina a beautiful piece of jewelry. In fact, she didn't know if he had given her anything at all. She took a leap of faith and retrieved his gift from under the tree.
"You may not use it now, or anytime soon, but I thought you might want to use it in the future," she said, handing it to him.

Micah opened the box and found a leather suitcase with his name engraved on the side.
Irena was afraid that he would have a smart  response or even afraid that he would think that she was offering up her heart to him, but he didn't.
"Thank you," he said. "It's nice."
There wasn't anything else said but that and for Irena it was enough. She smiled to herself as if she had accomplished a long awaited goal.
Lee was next and he opened his gift from Irena, which was thoughtfully picked out. A gift card to the local spa. Lee may not have shown his stress, but Irena knew it was there. A few days of rest and relaxation would do him some good.

"Irena, you have to open ours," Lee said handing his gift to her.
She unwrapped the paper and found the newest Galaxy poster signed, "to the best fan club president, you are awesome." and even the unreleased album. A loud shriek of excitement came from her causing Lee and Dastin to squint at the loudness of it.
"How did you get this?" She said after catching her breath.
"My business may be tanking, but that doesn't mean I still don't have connections."
"Yes, but I thought you just made toys."
"Who do you think makes their doll look a likes?"
"This is amazing! Thank you!" She said giving Lee a hug.

Micah rolled his eyes as she fan girled over his dad's gift.
"Here," he said giving her his gift. "It may not have anything to do with Galaxy but I thought you would enjoy it."
Inside the box was an hour glass. Her face went from excited to puzzled in one second.
"And I would enjoy this how?" She asked him.
"You can use this once. It is worth five hours of time spent with me."
"Psssshhh" she laughed. "Are you that conceited that you think that I want to spend time with you?"
While she excited about his gesture, she refused to allow him to see her feelings. She would not let him laugh in her face again.
"Fine, I'll take it back," he took the hourglass away.
"No!" she grabbed it back. "I'll keep it. Besides, I can do whatever I want right?"
"Yes," he said.


Micah left the room, leaving Irena all giggly to herself.
She knew that his gift didn't have any special meaning behind it. It didn't mean that he liked her or that he even wanted to spend time with her. But somehow, she couldn't help but feel butterflies fluttering around thinking about what she would do with those five hours and she hoped that she could get him to look her way. She knew that she would need to hold on to this gift and use it only when she thought the time was right-- but when?

9 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so glad you got out a new chapter again for this... I love this story, I mean I love everyone's stories, but to see this pop up again, I grabbed a coffee and my eyes ate it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read much of this story but this chapter was good. Irena sure does have it bad for Micah so I hope that he's clear about how he feels for her so she won't get her heart broken. It will be interesting to see when she uses her gift and what happens in those five hours. I hope that Micah and his dad get on their feet and that they can move forward in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ivory,

    I'm glad you enjoy this story. :)

    I promise I'll be more diligent about posting updates so you don't have to wait as long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Whitney,

    It's a fairly easy story to catch up with IMO.

    Unfortunately, Micah has strong poker face and even for readers it's hard to know how he feels. But Irena won't give up so easily, despite his cold attitude towards her. So I'm sure she will make the most of her five hours with him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, Oh Irena. She's so silly, being all standoffish to Micah, even when he gave her a gift. She likes him so much, I wish they could both communicate more or something. It seems like when one of the opens up, the other one closes themselves off. Overall, it does look like they had a good Christmas despite that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice gift, Micah! Really eager for this two to get together. Micah is driving me crazy with how stoic he is... >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irena really makes use of that gift in the next episode.

      Unfortunately, they both have a lot to learn about each other before they could ever live happily as a couple.

      Delete
  7. Aw another lovely chapter! Thank you so much for this story, Kristen. I am still getting my hopes up for Micah and Irena.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it :)
      2 more chapters left for this season now that 10 has been released. Hopefully I don't destroy your hopes (evil grin) the finale will be a shocker...

      Delete